Brief description of the service:
The Northamptonshire Bus Portal is an online website designed to help users plan their journey more easily. The service will be developed taking into account Northamptonshire’s ambition of accelerating modal shift which will result in greater public transport use. Expanding information on public services to an online platform is also part of Northamptonshire Transportation Plan of 2012. The service will be developed by TeamNet using Northamptonshire County Council data.
- Availability and Access: There will be an online website containing the information of bus GPS systems. This will also later be developed into an application which will be available for download on both the google play store as well as the Apple app store. The data for the application will be transferred in real-time from Northamptonshire County Council to the Cloud Opting portal.
- Reuse and Redistribution: the data for software developers to utilise and embed into their own programmes will be available through the cloud operating system.
- Universal Participation: everyone will be able to use, reuse and redistribute the data providing they have access to the internet – there should be no discrimination against fields of endeavour or against persons or groups.
Scope and purpose of the service:
The main goals of the Bus Portal is to:
- Reduce waiting times for customers, who will be available to follow a live feed of their buses activity so they are informed as to when they need to leave to catch their bus.
- Enhance the bus service, allowing companies to monitor key sites where there is either a great or lack of demand for the service so the bus company can more optimally run their services.