CloudOpting is a three-year effort project accomplished by a pan-European consortium of 10 partners and co-funded by the EU ICT Policy Support Programme (ICT PSP) under the Competitiveness and Innovation Framework Programme (CIP)
CloudOpting is the European App Store for public services, which aims to provide a cloud-based platform for governments to deliver services to citizens while reducing administration and IT fees. The CloudOping platform will comprise cloud infrastructures and tools that will ease public administrations to flexibly and effectively migrate their services to the cloud.
Using the CloudOpting platform, public organizations will be able to “cloudify” their services, but also to adapt services that have been successfully deployed by other public administrations in other European countries. These functionalities will greatly benefit public bodies that have no cloud deployments at all, since CloudOpting will offer them a readily available bundle of public services that they could directly adopt.
The framework will be tested in pre-commercial pilots deployed and experimented in four European regions and cities – Barcelona (Spain), Corby (UK), Piedmont (Italy) and Karlshamn (Sweden) – to act as infrastructure and service providers and Corby (UK) – as service hosts.
The regions and municipalities will provide the infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) and the Platform as a Service (PaaS), which can be transferred to other regions and/or countries to support public administrations to leverage cloud services.
The Main Objectives
- Deployment and migration of innovative cloud services.
- To deploy up a Shared Cloud Based Open Platform as a Service.
- Replication level of common and shared services and components through state members.
- To implement 4 pilots in 4 different cities in EU.
- To provide stakeholders with tools for building Smart Cities Services.
- To provide a full business case and anticipation of the foreseen impact of the project.
Project’s Added Value
- The Cloud platform will provide the functionality to host, run and support applications and services.
- The platform will measure the cloud usage to allow the determination of the total cost of operation (TCO) of the different services and end users.
- Furthermore, it will help to reach the goal of allowing Public Administrations (PAs) to subscribe, use and reuse applications in a Cloud environment to determine what the costs are and how to share them.